Butternut squash for 59 cents at Aldi?! Clearly, fall is here!
Butternut squash + turkey hash
- butternut squash
- ~3 oz lean ground turkey (mine is 93/7)
- oil (I used both EVOO and canola)
- cinnamon, salt, any other seasonings optional
- Cut butternut squash into large chunks and microwave face down with a small amount of water to steam. I overcooked mine…best idea is to do it for 4-5 minutes so it’s not completely cooked, then cut into bite-size chunks.
- Coat a pan with EVOO on medium heat, sauteeing diced onion and butternut squash until the onion is mostly translucent.
- Add the rest of your oil (here’s where I used canola), throw in the turkey (crumbled up) and spinach until the turkey is cooked through and the spinach is wilted.
- Turn heat up to medium to crisp it up a little and add a couple big shakes of cinnamon and salt to taste.
Happy fall! :)
I have a GIANT bag of potatoes in my kitchen that I’m trying to keep from going bad. I love shredding them for hash browns and just frying a couple eggs to go on top, but that meal is starting to get boring, so tonight for dinner I decided to mix it up…
Salmon rosti (fish cakes)
- about 1/3 cup of canned salmon (mine is wild pink salmon)
- 1 cup shredded potatoes
- 1 egg
- Dijon mustard, salt, pepper
- oil or fat of choice (I used canola oil with a pat of butter)
- ketchup (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes and salmon together and crack in an egg to bind the whole thing into a batter.
- Add in a generous squirt of Dijon and salt and pepper (you can err on the side of seasoning too little because you can always add more when it’s cooked).
- Heat a pan on medium and add in oil/butter, then add potato/salmon/egg mixture.
- Let it cook until edges are browned and you can flip it in small sections to create several little cakes.
- Once the other side is browned, you’re good to go!
- Serve with ketchup if you want. I also steamed some broccoli on the side and added salt and pepper to everything.
My Vibram FiveFingers came in the mail yesterday (so much faster than I expected).
I did a normal run in my old running shoes (New Balance), then put the Vibrams on to do another half mile. I love them! They’re definitely gonna take a gradual transition though. I’m hoping I can fit in a really short run this morning before I head to Ithaca for Dan’s formal.
I didn’t think I was hungry enough to cook an exciting dinner last night (I had a LaraBar at 4pm), but I figured I should use the salmon thawing in the fridge…
I sauteed strips of salmon in canola oil with chunks of one Roma tomato, some frozen broccoli and spinach, and a couple of white mushrooms all sliced up.
Then I mixed whole-wheat penne in with the salmon and veggies and threw in a couple spoonfuls of jarred pesto.
I think my only complaint was that it could’ve used more salt…but the pesto is so salty straight from the jar! For some reason, the flavor disappears a little. Oh well, still good.
So yesterday was also the BDJ Ugly Sweater Christmas party! I went shopping with Becca yesterday and we settled on just looking really tacky with glittery shirts from Walmart that say “Holiday Cheers!”
Went to the party around 8, which was a blast, and then most of us ended up going downtown to Daisy Duke’s.
Heading to Ithaca in a few hours! :)